Dengue cases are on the rise and health authorities are alarmed that the numbers might continue to spike, prompting two Luzon provinces to be placed under state of calamity.
According to the Department of Health-Epidemiology Bureau, the number of recorded dengue cases this year is 9 .15% higher than the 50,462 cases recorded in 2014.
The number of reported dengue cases in Cavite, Bulacan and Pangasinan has more or less doubled from last year’s.
Cavite is now under a state of calamity with a total of 4,572 dengue cases reported since Jan. 1. The figure is 285-percent higher compared to the 1,120 cases in the same period in 2014.
Based on records from the Cavite Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, 16 deaths have been recorded – seven in Dasmariñas City; one each in GMA, Indang, Naic, Rosario, Silang, and Trece Martirez City; and three in General Trias.
Dr. Nelson C. Soriano, provincial epidemiologist, said that it may take three weeks at least, with “a more serious campaign,” to contain the dengue outbreak in the province. He suggested for a massive clean-up drive.
Bulacan was also placed under state of calamity as the Bulacan Public Health Office (PHO) reported 4,426 cases from Jan. 1 to Sept. 27. The figure shows a 230-percent cumulative increase in dengue cases compared to the 1,342 cases recorded in the same period last year.
Bulacan Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado said seminars were being held in barangays and a campaign was launched to encourage healthy residents to donate blood through the “Boluntaryong Pagbibigay ng Dugo” program.
In Pangasinan, the provincial PHO reported that dengue cases rose by 55 percent this year with a total of 2,900 cases compared to only 1,630 cases recorded in the same period last year. PHO head Ana de Guzman led a cleanup drive in residential areas to destroy breeding sites of mosquitoes.
Metro Manila also posted a spike in dengue cases. Government-run San Lazaro Hospital has more than doubled its dengue admissions in August compared to the same month last year.
In Quezon City, the Philippine National Police General Hospital also recorded a 200-percent increase in the number of dengue admissions compared to the same period last year with patients coming from different areas all over the metropolis.
However, despite the rise in dengue cases, number of death is down to 168 this year from 217 recorded in 2014.
Meanwhile, Philippine Red Cross chair Richard Gordon assured the public they have enough blood supply for dengue victims.
Gordon added that if a local PRC chapter or blood facility did not have enough blood supply, the national headquarters could coordinate with the nearest Red Cross center to send the necessary supply.
The PRC has 27 blood centers and 82 blood banks nationwide.