MANILA — President Benigno Aquino III wants a review of the government’s disaster response manual to prevent unnecessary loss of lives in the aftermath of the devastation of Typhoon Sendong in Mindanao.
Several government agencies in Camp Aguinaldo on Saturday briefed the President regarding their response to the devastation brought about by Typhoon Sendong, which have so far yielded more than five hundred deaths and hundreds still missing.
Aquino wants a more accurate and effective typhoon tracking system so that communities along typhoon path could have enough time to prepare before such disturbance hits.
Areas vulnerable to flash floods must be identified for the government to issue immediate warnings during heavy downpours and typhoons, the President said.
At the same time, Aquino instructed concerned government agencies to do necessary preparations and brace for the entry of Typhoon Sendong in Palawan, the next place expected to be hit by the typhoon based on recent forecasts.
In its report to the President, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said it is sheltering hundreds of people in Cagayan de Oro City, Iligan City and other areas.
As regards search and rescue efforts, police and military officials told the President about the need for more rubber boats for their missions. They said rescue efforts as well as salvaging dead bodies would continue once the weather improves.