The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Monday the procession route of the Feast of the Black Nazarene and the alternate routes motorists can take to avoid heavy traffic on January 9.
The ‘Traslacion’ or the transfer of the Black Nazarene will start at 7 a.m. from the Quirino Grandstand and end in Quiapo Church.
The grand procession will pass by Katigbak Drive through P. Burgos Street. It will turn left to Taft Avenue through Jones Bridge then turn right to Escolta Street. It will then go left to Carlos Palanca Street through Quezon Bridge before going to Quezon Boulevard and Arlegui Street.
It will continue to Fraternal, Vergara, Duque de Alba, Castillejos, and Farnecio streets before going back to Arlegui Street and head toward Nepomuceno, Aguila, and Carcer streets.
It will then go to Hidalgo through Plaza Del Carmen and Bilibid Viejo through Gil Puyat. It will then continue to Guzman, Hidalgo, and Barbosa streets before going to Globo de Oro through Quezon Bridge.
The procession will pass by Palanca Street and Villalobos through Plaza Miranda to get to Quiapo Church.
Meanwhile, the MMDA also announced alternate routes motorists can take on Friday.
As in previous years, several roads will be closed to traffic for the procession, which millions of devotees attend.
Starting at 9:00 p.m. on Jan. 8, Katigbak Drive and one lane of South Drive will be closed to traffic.
At 3 a.m. on jan. 9, the actual day of the procession, these roads will also be closed:
- McArthur Bridge
- Jones Bridge
- Quezon Bridge
- Roxas Boulevard (from Katigbak Drive to T.M Kalaw Avenue)
- Both lanes of Quezon Boulevard from Andalucia/Fugoso to España/P. Campa southbound
- Taft Avenue northbound
Motorists who need to pass through the area on the day of the procession may take the following routes:
- All vehicles coming from Quezon City using the stretch of España shall turn right at P. Campa, left Andalucia, right Fugoso, left T. Mapua to point of destination.
- All PUJ’s/Iight vehicles coming from España intending to proceed to South Pier Zone shall turn left at Nicanor Reyes, right Recto straight to R-10, then left at R-1O to Delpan Bridge to destination.
- All vehicles coming from northern part of Manila intending to utilize the stretch of Bonifacio Drive Southbound shall turn right at Roberto S. Oca St, left Delgado, left Bonifacio Drive (for Port Area Offices) or right to A. Soriano to Magallanes Drive, right P. Burgos, go straight to Lagusnilad to Taft Ave.
- All vehicles coming from southern part of Manila intending to utilize the stretch of P. Burgos, take the following: T. M. Kalaw, left Taft Ave., right Ayala to Ayala Bridge to point of destination.
- Private vehicles coming from the southern part of Manila intending to utilize the northbound of Roxas Blvd: Turn right Quirino Ave., and take Nagtahan Bridge to their destination.
- All PUJs plying Monumento-Gasak-Recto intending to utilize Andalucia thru Recto: Turn right Fugoso, right Oroquieta to point of origin.
- All vehicles coming from Legarda: Turn right Recto or left Mendiola to point of destination
- All vehicles/cargo trucks coming from the south: Take Pres. Osmefia, right Pres. Quirino to Nagtahan via A. H. Lacson to Capulong (vice-versa)
- Other motorists intending to proceed to North of Manila or South of Manila are advised to utilize the stretch of Lacson to Nagtahan (vice-verse) or the stretch of Road 10 to Roxas Blvd.(vice-versa) to point of destination.
- All buses coming from eastern part of Manila particularly G-Liner/RRCG utilizing Legarda: Turn right at Recto Ave., right at Morayta, right at España, right Lacson Ave., right Eamshaw then left at Legarda to point of origin.
- All buses coming from Taft Ave. going to Fairview: Turn right UN Ave. up to Otis, left Nagtahan to straight to Lacson, right España to point of origin.
- All buses coming from the southern part of Manila (Laguna & Cavite) utilizing Taft Ave. are not allowed to enter from 7 am to 2 pm and allowed only up to Remedios St, right San Marcelino back to point of origin.