According to the website of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the agency has prepared around P2.10 million standby funds and relief goods worth P4.72 million for those affected by Typhoon Gener.
DSWD Region 2 has prepared 750 food packs and 500 packs of relief clothing for families, and set up 65 evacuation centers in the region.
As of Sunday, around 109 families, or 523 individuals, from Simpatuyo, Sta. Teresita, Cagayan were reported to have been affected by close to two feet-deep floods.
Also affected were about 2,638 families, or 13,170 persons, coming from 11 barangays in four Bulacan municipalities and in the province of Occidental Mindoro.
To provide temporary shelter to 82 families, or 340 persons, three evacuation centers in Bulacan were set up.
On the other hand, 50 families, or 250 persons, in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro were also provided relief assistance.
Assistance was also given by DSWD to the residents of Baseco Compound in Tondo, Manila. DSWD has been assisting the city government of Manila in relocating families along the seawall in Roxas Boulevard.
Vice President Jejomar Binay is also said to conduct relief operations around the country, such as in Bago, Negros Occidental and Sablayan, Mindoro. According to his office, 150 bags of relief goods were, in fact, already delivered to residents of Baseco Compound.
Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) have also provided their own share of assistance in the situation.
PNP chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome said, “All PNP resources and personnel will be made available for disaster response operations at the beck and call of national and local disaster risk reduction and management authorities.”
MMDA, meanwhile, took down tarpaulins from advertising billboards in EDSA and other major highways during the storm. They have also recommended that other billboard operators should voluntary take down their tarpaulins till Thursday. They have also assigned crews to free major roads of debris.
Malacañang defends weather agencies
Defending local agencies over criticisms that weather advisories were not current, Malacañang said that Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) and the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) had been regularly providing information to the public about the current situation.
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the weather advisories were sent out as early as 8:03 p.m on Sunday. He also said that the public could follow developments through social media like Twitter, or media outfits like TV, radio, and online editions of newspapers. To those who do not have access to social media, he said AM radio stations were also announcing information on weather situation.
Gener seen to leave Thursday or Friday morning
PAGASA said that Typhoon Gener was at 180 kilometers East Northeast of Basco, Batanes at 4 a.m. today, an estimation based on satellite and surface data.
Tuesday morning weather bulletin of PAGASA stated that Gener is seen to move at 7 kph to North Northwest.
Signal No. 3 is still up over Batanes Group of Islands, and Signal No. 2 remains over Cagayan, Babuyan Group of Islands, and Calayan Group of Islands. Isabela, Apayao, and Kalinga remain at Signal No. 1.
The rest of Luzon and Visayas will have occasional rains that will become more frequent over the western sections that may set off flashfloods and landslides.
Mindanao, meanwhile, will have partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rainshowers or thunderstorms.
Gener was estimated to be outside the Philippine area of responsibility Thursday or Friday morning.