MANILA — The total number of dead from tropical storm Sendong has reached 662, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Monday (December 19).
In its 6 p.m. report, the NDRRMC said 82 people remained missing while 432 people were either rescued or survived.
The Philippine Red Cross, meanwhile, said the number of dead it has counted rose to 652.
Red Cross is asking for donations in cash or in kind. The humanitarian organization earlier sent to Cagayan De Oro City, Iligan and Bukidnon more than 1,000 food items, hygiene kits, sleeping materials and kitchen utensils, as well as used clothes.
The NDRRMC said the total number of population affected in Regions VI, VII, IX, X, XI, CARAGA, and ARMM stood at 167,460 or 34,298 families. Out of the 260 previously reported missing, 227 were recovered dead.
A total of 9,214 houses were damaged. Of this figure, 2,307 houses were totally destroyed while 6,907 were partially damaged.
About seventy percent of power was interrupted in the province of Negros Oriental, affecting water, communication, and transportation facilities. Power outages continued in Tanjay and Siaton in Negros Oriental.
Power interruption continued in Agusan del Sur (Municipalities of Lianga, San Agustin, Marihatag, Bayabas, San Miguel, Cagwait, Tago, Cortes, Carmen, Madrid, Lanusa, Lingig, and Tandag City).
The Department of Education implemented automatic suspension of classes during inclement weather to all badly affected schools applies until further notice. State of calamity was declared in Dumaguete City in Negros Oriental and the municipality of Valencia in Negros Oriental.